I dropped out of Princeton University six years ago to found Zinch.com, with cofounders Brad Hagen and Sid Krommenhoek. In September 2011 it was acquired by Chegg. Zinch is a site that connects young people with colleges & scholarships. Today we have more than 3 million users; we work with more than a 1000 universities; we have listings for over $2 billion in scholarships. The company has offices in three locations (SF, SLC, China) and 100+ employees. It's the first legit company I started (VC-backed). And it's humbling to have my first "exit" as an entrepreneur.
I'm now working on my second startup, Undrip. Our social networks are noisy, and only getting worse -- it's a constant leakage of great content. Undrip stops that leaky faucet. What google did for the web -- which is to surface the best and most relevant content -- we're doing for the social web. Read about my approach or you can read about the types of people I wanna work with.
This is where I write my essays on entrepreneurship. My writing has been featured in a variety of publications, including Fortune Magazine. I recently wrote the forward to the book, "Getting in! The Zinch Guide to College Admissions & Financial Aid," co-written by bestselling author Steve Cohen.
This is a site i've been running as a side project for years. It's basically a site that surfaces the most popular internet memes, pictures and videos. It regularly gets more than 200k unique visitors each month. It's been a great testing ground on how to leverage viral memes and social hooks to push traffic.
Honors & Distinctions
- Red Herring Top 100 North American Tech Startup
- v100 (top 100 tech entrepreneurs from Utah).
- Top 40 under 40 (business magazine in Utah).
- Winner at Princeton Entrepreneurs Network Business Plan Competition.
- Winner at Utah Entrepreneur Challenge.
- Winner at BYU e-business competition.
- Winner of Utah state sterling scholar award (Computer Science and Overall).
- Featured with Zinch in the New York Times, Boston Globe, US News, ABC, The Examiner, Chronicle of Higher Education, and Reuters among others.
- I'm a hacker
- I'm a hustler.
- I'm a designer.